Congratulations to Herald-Tribune in Sarasota, Florida, which was recently honored at the Society of Professional Journalists Florida Pro Chapter’s annual Sunshine State Awards.
The Herald-Tribune, along with the Tampa Bay Times, won the Gene Miller Award for Investigative Reporting for “Insane. Invisible. In Danger,” their Pulitzer Prize-winning joint series about budget cuts in Florida’s mental hospitals.
Investigative reporter Josh Salman, who recently investigated the federal government’s EB-5 visa program in “Shortcut to the American Dream,” was named Journalist of the Year. Reporter Billy Cox placed third in the Journalist of the Year category.
Other individual award winners included Elizabeth Johnson, who earned first place for Non-deadline News Reporting; Rachel S. O’Hara, who earned first place in the Photography Story category and second in the Feature Photography category; Emily Le Coz, who earned second place in the Best Reporting — Hardship Issues category; Ron Borresen, who earned second place in the Art of Photo Illustration category; Barbara Peters-Smith; who earned third place in the Commentary & Criticism category; and Carrie Seidman, who earned third place in the Special Publication or Section category.
Billy Cox, Jennifer Borresen and Dak Le earned third place in the online Package category.
For more information, visit bit.ly/29UcoRl.
Propel Marketing is a full-service digital marketing agency and we have been growing steadily since opening our doors in 2011. Our core focus is in helping clients better manage their digital presence and online marketing strategy. From display advertising, social media management, SEO and SEM, our services assure that our client’s marketing dollars are working for them.
We are expanding and need a Digital Sales pro who will have direct accountability for growing revenue from our partners and GHM properties and driving results for customers. You will be digital marketing solutions expert who will coach these third-party reps while driving sales in the field together, showing them how it’s done. This opportunity balances sales strategy and support, partner management, and sales training across partners’ field teams, with the focus of growing the sales funnel.
What You Have:
- 5 or more years of channel sales, professional services and/or partner marketing experience in a B2B organization. Even better if it is in SaaS or digital
- Affinity for traveling as this role requires you to be on the road at least 60% of the time. No weekends!
- Entrepreneurial mindset and know how to stay motivated in a home office environment
- Bachelor’s degree
What Propel Offers:
- Very competitive salary with uncapped commissions!
- Propel product specific training as part of your on-boarding
- Realistic and attainable monthly goals
- Expense reimbursement
- Programs that keep you engaged while you work remotely, including contests, sales summits and monthly meetings at corporate
- Health and retirement benefits
- Paid time off
- Our company culture is that of a true start up; we work hard, reward well, encourage new ideas and provide opportunities for growth.
Key responsibilities include:
- Driving your assigned region’s total Propel sales
- Drive consistent and predictable bookings through strong pipeline management
- Provide weekly reporting pipeline management for your region
- Develop market strategies and sales plans across your territory
- Communicate new products, best practices and features/benefits across all Propel offerings
- Review local market partners sales systems and procedures to streamline sales productivity
- Continually learn new products, industry trends and personally accountable to supply solution-based selling skills and high value market engagement
- Help reps identify to targets and schedule teaming programs for Propel direct reps across local markets
- Travel within assigned territory to drive Propel sales
- Work closely with local sales leadership to maximize sales
- Help develop packaging and bundle programs with traditional media solutions
Apply online here: bit.ly/290FCYs
GateHouse Media’s Center for News & Design
Position: Page designer/copy editor (Level 2)
Experience: 3-10+ years
GateHouse Media has established a new Center for News & Design in the growing and vibrant community of Austin, Texas. The center is part of a long-term effort to offer a range of content services to GateHouse newspapers and market those services to other media entities. The plan incorporates both print and digital components, in addition to new platforms we plan to develop.
This position requires at least 3 years of professional experience. Design clips or links to online portfolios are required from all applicants.
The designer/copy editor’s duties include:
- Using page-design software and centralized front-end system to lay out a steady stream of pages from beginning to end
- Offering and executing creative solutions to content presentation
- Providing a final read of all copy submitted for a variety of publications produced by the desks
- Publishing final stories to appropriate websites, following GateHouse Media’s content strategy
- Designing and editing special sections
- Working with local editors across the country to continually improve our publications
The designer/copy editor must:
- Have a dual skill set in both newspaper design and copy editing
- Be a true multitasker, able to handle curveballs on hard deadlines
- Be a true team player, able to interact proactively and productively with dozens of colleagues while helping to build team morale
- Be able to generate and implement creative ideas swiftly
- Have proven line-editing skills and be versed in AP style
- Have experience with layout software, preferably Adobe InDesign
- Have experience with digital publishing
Apply online here: bit.ly/29038VZ
Are you a highly motivated Sales Manager? Do you have a passion for leading and motivating those around you? Come join the Dispatch Media Group’s advertising department!
The Dispatch Media Group has an immediate opening for a driven Sales Manager. The Sales Manager will lead, motivate and coach Multimedia Sales Executives overseeing key local and regional accounts. Responsibilities include growing revenue and market share by providing creative solutions and marketing expertise to existing and new accounts to fuel growth.
This individual must be a leader in change management, with the flexibility to adapt as the industry changes, empowering and mentoring account executives through these transformations.
To be a successful candidate for this position you must possess a Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years of media management experience.
If you enjoy a fast paced, fun work environment apply online today: bit.ly/298S8dF
Congratulations to The Register-Mail of Galesburg, Illinois, which was recently honored by both the Illinois Press Association and the Illinois Associated Press Media Editors at two separate ceremonies in Springfield.
The Register-Mail was named the second best small daily newspaper in Illinois by the Illinois Press Association in addition to the 23 other awards it received.
First-place awards included General Excellence, News Reporting, Government beat, Single page design, Sports Feature, Original Column and Sports Photo.
Second-place awards included Sports Column, Right to Know, Feature Photo, Sports Section and Newspaper Design.
Third-place awards included Lifestyles section, Single page design and Headline Writing.
Honorable mentions included Feature Photo, two Informational Graphic mentions, General News Photo, Website, Government beat and Business/Economic Reporting.
The Register-Mail earned nine awards at the Illinois Associated Press Media Editors contest.
First-place award winners included Tom Loewy for Features and Steve Davis for Features Photo and Mobile Visual.
Second-place award winners included Tom Loewy for Features and Columns or Blog, Tom Martin for Editorial Writing and Steve Davis for Mobile Visual.
Third-place award winners included Tom Loewy for Business Story and Lewis Marien for Sports Feature Photo.
For more information, visit bit.ly/1ZWFXQl.
Congratulations to the Dispatch Magazines publications Columbus CEO, Columbus Alive and Columbus Monthly, which all received honors at The Press Club of Cleveland’s 2016 All-Ohio Excellence in Journalism Awards on June 3.
Columbus CEO received a first-place award for the second year in a row in the Best Business Publication in Ohio category and a second-place award in the Best Magazine Website category. Columbus Alive received a first-place award in the Best Non-Daily Newspaper category for alternatives.
Individual first-place award winners included Columbus Alive’s Andy Downing for Criticism and Arts & Entertainment, Brad Keefe for Sports, Alyse Kordenbrock for Single-Page Magazine Design and Joel Oliphint for Best Freelance Writer in Ohio; Columbus CEO’s Yogesh Chaudhary for Infographics and AABP Gold for Feature Layout; and Columbus Monthly’s Beth Stallings for Food Writing.
Individual second-place award winners included Columbus Alive’s Andy Downing for Personality Profile and Alyse Kordenbrock for Covers and Page Design; Columbus CEO’s Yogesh Chaudhary for Cover Design – AABP Silver, Tim Johnson for Pictorial and Photojournalism and Kitty McConnell for Technology Writing; and Columbus Monthly’s Betsy Becker for Single-Page Design, Tessa Berg for Portrait/Personality Photography and Beth Stallings for Food Writing.
Individual third-place awards included Columbus Alive’s Andy Downing for Arts & Entertainment, Brad Keefe for General Features and Criticism and Jill Moorhead for Public Service; Columbus CEO’s Mary Yost for Features (General); and Columbus Monthly’s Joel Oliphint for Features (Personality Profile) and Will Shilling for Photojournalism.
Columbus CEO also won gold and silver awards at the Alliance of Area Business Publishers Awards in Des Moines, Iowa.
For more information, visit bit.ly/1Xpvijc.
The Repository in Canton, Ohio, was recently named the official newspaper of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
As a part of the three-year partnership, all Hall of Fame guests will receive a daily edition of the Repository, which will be wrapped in a specially created section that will share the latest information about the Hall’s news and events and features about the game.
Readers of the newspaper and the website will receive specially created Hall of Fame content, including a daily feature on the paper’s front page. Cantonrep.com will also host a daily video series, which will feature the latest Hall of Fame news.
“We are incredibly proud to partner with an organization of excellence like the Hall, and we look forward to working together during this exciting time for the Hall and our region,” said Jim Porter, the Repository’s publisher.
For more information, visit bit.ly/1UkWZHN.
GateHouse Media’s Northwest Florida Daily News recently launched Destin.com, a new destination site highlighting the Florida panhandle.
Destin.com provides visitors with information on area beaches, attractions, shopping, dining, recreation and even allows them to book local accommodation for their stay.
The site also features live promotions and contests, sponsored events and giveaways and live video broadcasts at area festivals and featured events throughout the year.
For more information, visit Destin.com.
Congratulations to The Daily Telegram team in Adrian, Michigan, on its recent recognition at the Michigan Associated Press Media Editors annual newspaper competition.
The paper was awarded second in the Best Digital Presence category for Division II. The judges noted that the Telegram was successful in promoting a significant amount of content without being overwhelming to followers.
“This honor really is a reflection of how well our community engages with our newspaper through digital means,” said Digital Editor Sheri McWhirter. “We maintain very active Facebook and Twitter accounts and benefit from a local population that keeps an uncommonly active interest in local news and social media platforms. It’s a fortunate thing. It means we can continue to expand our digital offerings and expect a healthy viewership.
For more information, visit bit.ly/1UhgXP1.
Congratulations to The Bulletin team in Norwich, Connecticut, on its recent wins at the 2015 Connecticut Society of Professional Journalists Awards.
The paper earned three first-place awards including John Penney for Local Reporting for “Overdue fines add up for libraries, towns;” Marc Allard for Sports News for “Deaths no deterrent to playing football;” and Francesca Kefalas for Arts & Entertainment for “Investment in the arts is paying off in Putnam.”
The paper’s second-place awards included Brendan Cox for both his editorial about Freedom of Information laws and his column, “Call radicalism exactly what it is;” John Shishmanian for Sports Photo; Adam Benson for Diversity Coverage; and Jaclyn Diaz for both feature and business stories.
Third-place awards included Jaclyn Diaz for In-Depth story, Adam Benson and John Barry for Continuing Coverage and Adam Benson for both local and government reporting.
For more information, visit bit.ly/25yUY1C.