The Siskiyou Daily News in Yreka, Calif., is seeking a full-time managing editor, with demonstrated skills in digital media and a background in newsroom management. The position will report out of the Yreka office, and will have regional responsibilities/oversight for multiple other newspapers.
Our goal is to provide unique, quality local journalism. We practice non-linear storytelling, and are committed to evolving our presence on the Web.
Editor’s responsibilities will include:
• Overseeing staff of five newsroom employees
• Editing copy and coaching reporters
• Managing freelance writer and photographers, as needed
• Coordinating corporate initiatives and ensuring seamless implementation
The editor needs to:
• Champion our web-first reporting strategy
• Have proven communication skills, for colleagues and external customer service
• Monitor our competition and ensure we’re leading the news, not following it
• Find creative alternatives for nonlinear storytelling
About our company:
The Siskiyou Daily News is owned by GateHouse Media, which operates 431 community publications and more than 405 related websites, serves more than 299,000 business advertising accounts and reaches approximately 10 million people on a weekly basis.
We prefer local candidates, but will consider candidates from outside the area depending on experience and skill. Applicants should have at least three years of newsroom experience, with some management responsibilities.
How to apply:
Only e-mail applications will be accepted. Prospective candidates should send a resume, relevant work samples or links, and cover letter. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
The position offers a competitive salary and career progression possibilities.
Please e-mail your applications to: