Position: Page designer/copy editor (Level 1)
Experience: Up to 3 years
GateHouse Media’s Center for News & Design is established in the growing and vibrant community of Austin, Texas. The center is part of a long-term effort to offer a range of content services to GateHouse newspapers and market those services to other media entities. The plan incorporates both print and digital components, in addition to new platforms we plan to develop.
We are building a team of quality journalists who not only can design attractive and compelling pages but also clean up stories and sharpen headlines. The center opened in May of 2014 and we’ve been building our Design team as we grow.
A variety of shifts, both full-time and part-time, are available for qualified candidates to join desks that will produce daily and weekly pages for dozens of GateHouse publications throughout the country.
Recent college graduates are encouraged to apply, as well as those with limited professional experience. Design clips or links to online portfolios are required from all applicants, as is a skills assessment.
The designer/copy editor’s duties include:
• Using page-design software and centralized front-end system to lay out a steady stream of pages from beginning to end
• Offering and executing creative solutions to content presentation
• Publishing final stories to appropriate websites, following GateHouse Media’s content strategy
• Designing and editing special sections
• Working with local editors across the country to continually improve our publications
The designer/copy editor must:
• Have a dual skill set in both newspaper design and copy editing
• Be a true multitasker, able to handle curveballs on hard deadlines
• Be a true team player, able to interact proactively and productively with dozens of colleagues while helping to build team morale
• Be able to generate and implement creative ideas swiftly
• Have proven line-editing skills and be versed in AP style
• Have experience with layout software, preferably Adobe InDesign
• Have experience with digital publishing
Apply online here.